|THIS POLICY FOR ANTI-BULLYING:
Reviewed by Management Team: March 2019
This policy will be reviewed: March 2020
Universo Capoeira Ltd
The aim of the anti-bullying policy is to ensure that pupils learn in a supportive, caring and safe environment without fear of being bullied. Bullying is anti-social behaviour and affects everyone; it is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
Bullying is defined as deliberately hurtful behaviour, repeated over a period of time, where it is difficult for those being bullied to defend themselves. The three main types of bullying are:
- Physical (hitting, kicking,theft)
- Verbal (name calling, racist remarks)
- Indirect (spreading rumours)
Students who are being bullies may show changes in behaviour, such as becoming shy and nervous, feigning illness, taking unusual absences or clinging to adults. There may be evidence of changes in work patterns or lacking concentration.
Universo Capoeira instructors and staff must be alert to the signs of bullying and act promptly and firmly against it in accordance with the group policy.
Statutory duty of Universo Capoeira
Universo Capoeira has drawn up procedures to prevent bullying among students and to bring these procedures to the attention of staff, parents and students.
Implementation of Policy
The following steps may be taken when dealing with incidents:
- If bullying is suspected or reported, the incident will be dealt with immediately by the instructor or staff member who has been approached
- A clear account of the incident will be recorded and given to the management
- The instructor will interview all concerned and will record the incident
- Instructor will be kept informed and if it persists the instructor will advise the appropriate subject to the Director of Universo Capoeira
- Parents will be kept informed (if a child is involved)
- Punitive measures will be used as appropriate and in consultation will all parties concerned
Students who have been bullied will be supported by:
- Offering an immediate opportunity to discuss the experience with an instructor or member of Universo Capoeira of their choice
- Reassuring the student
- Offering continuous support
- Restoring self-esteem and confidence
Students who have bullied will be helped by:
- Discussing what happened
- Discovering why the students became involved
- Establishing the wrong doing and need to change
- Informing parents or guardians to help the attitude of the students (child)
The following disciplinary steps can be taken:
- Official warning to cease offending
- Minor fixed-term exclusion of the classes
- Major fixed-term exclusion of the classes
- Permanent exclusion of the Universo Capoeira activities
Monitoring, evaluation and review
Universo Capoeira will review this policy annually and assess its implementation and effectiveness. The policy will be promoted and implemented throughout the Universo Capoeira.