Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
Date: March 2019
Review date: March 2020
This is the Health and Safety Policy Statement of Universo Capoeira Ltd
Our statement of general policy is:
- to provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities
- to consult with our employees on matters affecting their health and safety
- to provide and maintain safe plant and equipment
- to ensure safe handling and use of substances
- to provide information, instruction and supervision for employees;
- to ensure all employees are competent to do their tasks, and to give them adequate training;
- to prevent accidents and cases of work-related ill health;
- to maintain safe and healthy working conditions; and
- to review and revise this policy as necessary at regular intervals.
Overall and final responsibility for health and safety is that of the Director of Universo Capoeira Ltd
Day-to-day responsibility for ensuring this policy is put into practice is delegated to Instructor.
To ensure health and safety standards are maintained / improved, the following people have responsibility in the following areas
Director / Instructor
All group have to:
- co-operate with Instructor on health and safety matters;
- not interfere with anything provided to safeguard their health and safety;
- take reasonable care of their own health and safety; and
- report all health and safety concerns to an appropriate person (as detailed in this policy statement).
Health and safety risks arising from our work activities
Risk assessments will be undertaken by Instructor
The findings of the risk assessments will be reported to Director/Instructor.
Action required to remove/control risks will be approved by Director.
The Director/Instructor will be responsible for ensuring the action required is implemented.
Director/ Instructor will check that the implemented actions have removed/reduced the risks.
Assessments will be reviewed every two months or when the work activity changes, whichever is soonest.
Consultation with group
Universo Capoeira will consult with group on the following:
- any new measure which may substantially affect their health and safety at work, for example new equipment, new ways of working and new procedures
- arrangements for getting competent people to help satisfy health and safety laws
- the information we give to group on the risks to health and safety arising from their work, measures to reduce or get rid of these risks and what they should do if they are exposed to a risk, including emergency procedures
- planning and organizing health and safety training and
- the health and safety consequences for them of any new technology we plan to introduce.
The information provided to group will be in a form that can be easily understood.
Universo Capoeira will consult directly with group through team meetings and face-to-face discussions.
Universo Capoeira will allow enough time for Trustees to consider the issues and give informed responses. Group are encouraged to ask questions, raise concerns and make recommendations.
Universo Capoeira will take group’s views into account before a final decision is made, respond to any concerns and questions raised and explain the final decision and why it has been taken.
The Instructor will be responsible for ensuring effective maintenance procedures are drawn up.
Director will be responsible for ensuring that all identified maintenance is implemented.
Any problems found with equipment should be reported to the Instructor immediately. Instructor should report it to the manager of the hired place.
Instructor will check that new equipment meets health and safety standards before it is used by students.
Safe handling and use of substances
The Director will check that new substances can be used safely before they are purchased. Universo Capoeira does not currently use or store any substances which need a COSHH assessment.
Information, instruction and supervision
The Health and Safety Law poster is provided under request.
Health and safety advice is available from the Director of Universo Capoeira
Supervision of young workers/trainees will be arranged/undertaken/monitored by Instructor
The Director is responsible for ensuring that our group working at locations under the control of other employers are given relevant health and safety information.
Competency for tasks and training
Induction training will be provided for all Helpers by the dedicated staff member.
Specific training is required for some activities within Universo Capoeira.
Training records are kept at/by Director
Training will be identified, arranged and monitored by Instructor
Accidents, first aid and work-related ill health
The first aid box is kept with instructor at all times.
All accidents and cases of work-related ill health are to be recorded in the accident book. The book is kept by Trustee
Instructor is the responsible for reporting accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences to the enforcing authority.
To check our working conditions, and ensure our safe working practices are being followed, we will carry out inspections and spot checks investigate any accidents or sickness absences that occur.
Director is responsible for investigating accidents.
Director is responsible for investigating train-related causes of sickness absences.
Director is responsible for acting on investigation findings to prevent a recurrence.
Emergency procedures – fire and evacuation
The Trustee is responsible for ensuring the fire risk assessment is undertaken and implemented by the premises hired by Universo Capoeira
Escape routes are responsible of the premises hired by Universo Capoeira.
Emergency evacuation drills are the responsibility of the premises hired by Universo Capoeira. Instructor is responsible to ensure that hired premises have this specific drill in place.
Fire Drill Procedure the responsibility of the premises hired by Universo Capoeira . Director is responsible to ensure that hired premises have this specific drill in place.
Universo Capoeira team will be made available to support the Instructor with all tasks due to the legal obligation of the organisation and supporting Instructor in post with day to day running of the company.